Monday, August 19, 2013

Me fui a California para tomar y sufear

  Every Monday I typically wake up with the same feeling: "Shit, work today". Working 40 hour weeks is significantly more grueling than being in college, where the concept of weekend/weeknight kinda just blends.  But today was different for me, I woke up, and after the initial rage towards me alarm, I realized that this was the last Monday of my internship, my time in California, and my summer. Feels like just yesterday I was back in Massachusetts trying to explain to my mom that this was a real job and not some kind of scam. 
 I certainly enjoyed my time in SoCal, but I don't think I had the opportunity to fully experience it.  To boot, we had so many activities already scheduled for us, which were fun, but I don't feel like I have fully absorbed the culture.  I came to this realization earlier this week, so on Sunday I began an expedition to a monument that no LA trip is complete without.
The hike up there was a tad harder than I expected, and not very contusive to flip flops. My feet wear a trifecta of dirty, bloody and blistered afterwards, but it was worth it.  I also fell down a dirt hill and lost my apartment keys, which well probably run me about 200 bucks. Shit happens, I bite financial bullets and move on.
 I finished the daylight off by surfing at Hermosa Beach. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I surfed enough this summer. That being said, I probably wouldn't have surfed as much if I was back home. I'm going to miss my board, Sheila. She was good to me, always there when I needed her and never asking anything in return. I like giving inanimate objects feminine names because it holds women up to a higher standard. Like, my surfboard doesn't have all these annoying emotions I don't care about, and it never talks about birth control pills or other taboo subjects.
  Tomorrow we have to do a "report-out" on what we've been doing all summer to some executive head honchos, and after that, it's pretty much time to get in a Tejas state of mind. Can only imagine what the next four years bring, but I envision a few good choices in a sea of bad ones, and hopefully no regrets

No comments:

Post a Comment